RE: Reply: [ihc] Anybody want to tow to Dixie?

## >> > Never heard that U-haul sold one of these.  I thought they
## >> quit using them
## >> > for the most part some time ago, and made everyone go to
## >> the tow dollies.

that's what i'd heard, too.  but then Joel Furtek mentioned the towbar he'd
got from JCWhitney, and i looked at that one.  very nice towbar, but i
didn't want to wait for it to be shipped, so i looked around a bit.  tried
the local RV places, they all told me to try U-Haul for what i wanted.  lo
and behold, U-Haul had just what i needed, a bar nearly identical to the
JCWhitney, and for a comparable price.  actually the JCWhitney bar was
cheaper, but with shipping and everything, it came out about the same
overall, and with buying it from U-Haul i didn't have to wait for it.

it was nearly 2 years ago exactly that i bought the one i have, and as i
said in a previous post, it was $128 for the bar.  i also bought the $30
magnetic light set, and then went to Fresno Ag and had custom safety chains
made up (they're more stout than the bar is!) and picked up some heavier
stainless steel washers and extra nuts and bolts for the bumper mounts.  all
told, i think it was about $210 for everything.  still less than it would
have cost for a one-way tow-dolly rental.

## >> > And only $100?  That sounds outrageously reasonable!!!

hey, even at what i paid for it when i got mine, it was reasonable.  MUCH
cheaper than renting a tow-dolly to bring the Scout out here to TX, and i
didn't have to give it back when i was done with it.  just that part alone
made the decision for me, and has since proved to be a most prudent choice.
it's more than made up for the expense of buying it in the last year alone.

## >> Sorry.
## >>
## >> I was wrong (perhaps cause I bought mine approx 10 years ago), they're
## >> $150 now.
## >>
## >> http://store.uhaul.com/(mlcof345emuhfxbskdgljun3)/products.aspx?id=99

i checked out this link.  the towbar they're selling now is very similar to
the one i bought from them, but not identical.  looks to be about as stout,
though, and i'd still recommend one of these.  about the only real
differences i can see is that the coupler A frame is painted black where
mine is unpainted...  and the safety chain mounts on the new one appear to
be steel hoops permanently mounted to the arms.  mine are large U-bolts
mounted vertically through the long side section of the bar, and therefore
heavy but removable (a feature i like), and in my opinion a stronger way to
mount the chains.  the one i have will probably fold up flatter and doesn't
have the projections of the chain loops like the new one does.  other than
those two things, it looks the same and i say get one if you don't already
have one.

nickel/grain of salt.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.