   Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:37:00 -0800
   From: George B Humphrey <xgbhx@domain.elided>
   Subject: [ihc] Coil Voltage?

              I want to use the positive side of the coil as the trigger
   for the
   relay
   to the Projection system. I'm not getting enough current to the fast
   idle
   solenoid during start up and the solenoid recoils during cranking. I
   tried setting it up this way and can not get it to work at all. The
   fuel
   pump won't even prime. I checked the voltage across the coil (Pertronix
   Flame Thrower) while the ignition is in the start position and the
   engine
   is not running and only get 4.2 volts. I assume I should get full
   voltage. Is that correct? If so, does anyone have an idea why I am not?
   Once started the 345 runs beautifully. If 4.2 volts is about right,
   what
   do I need to do to get the Projection to trigger from the coil? As you
   can tell my auto electric knowledge is only slightly above none at all.

   George H.
   72 Scout II
   345 V8