Re: [ihc] Coil Voltage?

Dan,
	I like the way you are thinking. I tested the coil to ground today and
the voltage was a little over 5v. That would help support your theory. I
did the remote solenoid setup awhile ago. It is possible I got my wires
mixed up. I have both the large blue wire to the alternator and the green
wire that goes to, I believe, the ammeter on the battery side of the
remote solenoid. I tested it and the wire that runs to the positive side
of the coil is hooked up to the solenoid on the starter. It is connected
to the bottom terminal of the solenoid. I believe that is the R term,
correct? It is impossible to see in there. Is there an easy way for me to
test my setup to see if the right circuit is starting the engine? I've
been thinking about getting a new harness for that section. Some P.O.
splicing and wires going nowhere. I also wish IH had used other colors
beside green in their wiring. Variety is the spice of life, you know.

George H.
72 Scout II
345 V8

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:27:19 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time) "Dan Nees"
<cookiedan@domain.elided> writes:
> George, >    You have a 72 Scout II. They were originally points
equippedwith
> a run
> and start circuit from the starter. The start circuit would have
> been a full
> 14.4 volts from the battery, the run circuit would have run through
> ballast resistor. If the relay is not closing at start-up perhaps
> the start
> circuit hase been removed and you only have the run circuit trying
> to start
> the truck. This would, perhaps not be applying enough voltage at
> start-up
> for the relay. Maybe the resistor circuit wire and the run wire were
> put
> back on the wrong terminals on the solinoid by accident and you are
> getting
> your 12-14 volts at run, but; only 5 or so at start-up.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!