RE: [ihc] Clutch setup w/throwout Q's

Joel,

Sorry my post sounded a little disconnected.  I was in a hurry and
didn't re-read it before sending.

I wanted to add that I only had one IH in my immediate possession at the
time so there was no opportunity to mix up parts.  The clutch that came
out was an 11 incher and the one I put in was a 12 incher.  Otherwise
all pieces were the same.  Maybe the difference is 11 vs. 12, not big
truck vs. little.  I guess all I can really say is that the new clutch
was built to require more movement to release.  I considered shortening
the arm on the outside of the bellhousing, or at least moving the
attachment point, so that I would get more motion from the TO bearing.
Imagine trying to do that without dropping everything back down.  That
is why I spaced the attachment point away from the firewall. Kindof an
experiment to see if it would work.  It did.  If I have the occasion to
have the bellhousing out of the truck, I may make a shorter attachment
on the arm.  To use the clutch now, I really have to lift my leg pretty
high to get on top of the pedal. At 6' 2" and 260, I'm borderline too
big to fit in an 800 anyway.  My knee about hits the bottom of the
steering wheel to get to the clutch.

My point is that you may not have done anything wrong and you may have
to get creative to get it to work.  You may have to alter the length of
a lever or two to get the stroke you need.  Or take the clutch back out.
It seems like there are 2 or 3 fulcrum positions on the PP.  Alter at
your own risk.

Ed Sohm
Battle Creek, IA

'71 800 B