[ihc] Scout axle weaklinks

John M. Adams wrote:

What would you (or anyone else on the list) say is the weakest suspension /
drive train component under a stock Scout? Shackles? wheel ends? (I guess
open and closed knuckle designs would have to be considered separately.) In
case this is completely obvious to most, I'll say that I really don't know
the answer and am genuinely interested. Thanks, -John A.
I've broken 3 or 4 of the Dualmatic/Selectro hubs. I haven't broken any of the factory Warn hubs.

I've broken 3 or 4 stub-shafts. Usually that means just egging out the U-joint yokes, but the last one I broke off just behind the yoke, and broke the remaining stub inside the spindle lengthwise. That little number also wiped out the spindle and wheel bearings.

Once, I broke a Selectro hub, wasted the stub-shaft, wiped out the shear pins in my front Lockright, *AND* ripped one rear axle perch from the housing and bent the other all at once.

I also broke a rear leaf spring, stock springs SOA. Fun part was breaking this 20 miles from Moab in the desert without a buddy Scout around.

The stock tie-rod and draglink are also pretty flimsy.. after bending the draglink, upgrading, then finding the tie-rod bent, upgrading, I then found the frame cracked behind the steering box, so that's been plated, too.

I ripped both front spring hangers (fixed, rear of front springs) from the frame early on, too.

Now I've stepped up to 36" TSLs. In 2 or 3 years, I've broken one stub shaft (the one that shattered lengthwise), one spindle (out of round from the axle shaft exploding), one set of wheel bearings, broke one 30sp rear axle shaft, lost 4 teeth from the 4.09 rear R&P.

I'm waiting for the balljoints to fail from the big tires.