Re: [ihc] Front Spindles Heat treated?

on 3/13/04 3:34 PM, Jim or Ginger Aos at jaos@domain.elided wrote:

> The difference is in the heat treating
>
> Lt. straw             400 degrees F
> Dr.    straw         450 degrees F
> Lavendar            500 degrees F
> Dr. blue              600 degrees F
> Lt. blue               650 degrees F
> Dull red on a dark day 1,000 degrees F
>
> These are approximate and are dependant on a failing memory, and this is
> more than you asked for Jim A.

So, Jim, these are the temps for annealing steal. Is it reasonable to assume
that Jim L's spindles (dark blue) got up around 600 degrees?

Even though I've done a lot of metal work including annealing and tempering,
I've never given any thought to the color left on the steel after it cools.
Obviously, even if it works for the other colors, steel that has been heated
red hot isn't going to retain its red color, but ....

What about the other colors? You mentioned file tangs, and they are usually
dark blue, left over from the annealing. ????

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs