Re: [ihc] Front Spindles Heat treated?

Thanks Howard.

I have a spare spindle, guess I'll put that one on and keep the raccoon version for a trail spare.

This will be my third or fouth time into the spindle in a month, oh well, practice makes perfect.

My 93 Jeep Cherokee that I bought used about a year ago has a D30 with one piece sealed hubs and the axle ends are
bolted to them. The design eliminates all bearing adjustment and maintainence. Nice. But a replacement hub is $200. As
far as I know these are original and they have 160K miles on them. Same with the axle and front driveshaft ujoints.
They are alway spinning when driving because there are no lockout hubs. They seem just fine.

- Jim in Mesa

> My notes say "8 inch white spoke wheels with hardened front spindles
> offered" in 1977.  Before this, the 7" chrome rims were the widest
> offered and as I recall, the hardened spindles were theoretically
> required for the wider wheels.

Jim In Mesa - James Lidberg
jameslidberg@domain.elided
'79 Scout II/4X4/345/Edelbrock 1400/727/D20/3.07 open/PS/PB/4"Trailmaster
Copyright 2004 All rights reserved