[ihc] Re: Foam Band for Air Cleaner

on 3/7/04 6:39 AM, Mike Daugherty at cartshareholder@domain.elided wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:37:16 -0800
>> From: John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
>> Subject: [ihc] Foam band for air cleaner
>>
>> The CarQuest stock number for the foam band that goes over the regular
> paper
>> filter on our Scouts is 89700.
>
> John,
> Are you using this on the original, enclosed air filter element?  I
> can't remember if you said that you switched to an open style filter or not.
> Thanks,
> Mike

Yes, that band goes on over the stock paper filter. I sprayed it with K&N
filter oil after putting it on the filter. I did it that way to avoid
getting oil on the paper element.

It seems to me that this is a much better filtering solution than just the
K&N filter that I had on my SSII. And as you have read here, apparently the
paper element is capable of passing more air than the motor uses, anyway.

I'm pretty sour on the K&N filter, at least in very dusty situations such as
we have in the desert and the dry dirt roads back home.

I know you didn't ask for all that, but .....

It was Jim Grammer's suggestion and it makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks,
once again, Jim.

John