Re: [ihc] Flaring tool?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 13:23
Subject: Re: [ihc] Flaring tool?

> John,
> You're the first to tell me about these little anvils.  I had read about
> them online and they look like small steel mushrooms.  Can you tell me
> where I can get some of those at a reasonable cost, or should I try to
make
> my own?  A step down button with a point cut into the opposite side looks
> like about 10 minutes on the lathe, but which sizes and how many, etc.
etc?

> Thanks John,
>
> JoelB

My flaring tool actually came with those things... kind of surprises me that
they aren't common to come with the kits.  Got my tool at one of the chain
stores, I think it was Advanced...  I want to say that the step down is just
small enough to fit inside the open tubing.  The step up has to be big
enough to be able to push down throughought the motion.  I think on mine the
tapered part is built in and the anvil parts have a little depression on the
top so the tapered part will hold them in place when flaring the tubing.

Thanks,
Ryan

---