Re: [ihc] Flaring tool?

on 2/26/04 10:48 AM, Joel M Brodsky at jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

> I have two flaring tools.  Use them often.
> I'm curious about what it means to 'double flare' something.
> Does that mean that there is a layer of material folded over the first one
> so that the flared section is actually
> a sandwich of two layers of material?
> OR
> Is a double flare just like a bulge in the line, like a flare-out followed
> closely by a flare-in - like on a factory fuel pump outlet pipe for
> mechanical fuel pumps on '70s SVs?
>
> Thanks for clearing that up,
>
> JoelB

Joel,

Others have explained what it is, but so far in my reading, has anyone told
you that your flaring tool needs an extra set of little anvils in order to
double flare. The little anvils are sold separately.

All brake lines should be double flared, I am told. Especially ABS brake
lines. As Jim G.'s reference indicates, having the tool doesn't guarantee
success at making the flares. Fritz gets most of them right, I get maybe
60%.

John

John