RE: [ihc] What's wrong with this truck?

## >> I found this photo on a Yahoo group site.
## >>
## >> http://home.bresnan.net/~j.adams/misc/oldc1200.jpg
## >>
## >> The group is an IH forum based in Australia. This truck had
## >> the caption,
## >> "Paul's old C1200, since sold", or something very close to
## >> that. No other
## >> comments or info. My question is, What is it? It doesn't look
## >> right. I've
## >> never seen a "king cab" Binder, and the lines up front look
## >> all wrong in the
## >> fender & hood area. What you can see of the grill is right
## >> for the model
## >> year, but otherwise... it's peculiar. Is this extensive body
## >> work? Or did IH
## >> ship something to OZ that we didn't get up here? Any thoughts
## >> appreciated.
## >> Thanks -John A.

couple points.  first, the Australians built all their own IH products down
under, very little got shipped from here to there.  they had some pretty
unusual designs over the years, too.  from what i've been reading, the
Aussies are the only IH foreign builder who used SV engines in their
vehicles.  as near as i've been able to determine, it appears that the
Turks, Russians, British, and the rest of those built for Europeans all used
some form of diesel engines in theirs.  i understand a fair number of
american-built SV-powered IH trucks did manage to get shipped overseas,
though.

second, beginning in 1961, the Aussie-built IH trucks started using Chrysler
Austrialia truck front sheetmetal instead of IH front sheetmetal, though
still retaining the A/B/C series cab.  what you're seeing is the
Australian-specific IH/Chrysler combo, which remained the Australian front
sheetmetal style untill the end of the Light Line, though the cab changed to
a regular Loadstar cab somewhere around the time of the change from C series
to D series in 1969.

third, that extended cab appears to be a custom addition.  i've never seen
anything like that as a factory or aftermarket offering, though i've seen a
couple custom cab extensions similar to that one.  somebody did that to it,
i think.  nice conversion, though.

nickel/grain of salt

--Mac

Wassail!