Re: [ihc] Re: good flare tool?

on 2/26/04 6:29 AM, Dennis Bernth at scoutdude@domain.elided wrote:

> Jim in Mesa-
> I just recently finally got around to buying a good one from Snap-On after
> about two or three garage sale and 'Traveling Chinese Tool Sale' attempts. The
> Snappy guy had a couple choices, this was the cheapest and it came without the
> tubing cutter, but it seems to work pretty well. It's amazing how when the
> tubing is held solidly in the die how easy it will flare!  Snap-On guy told me
> that this was the one about 90% of the local techs were using, so I figured
> that was good enough for me. IIRC, it was about $40 give or take. I do still
> need to get a good tubing cutter or a new blade for mine, but I wasn't gonna
> pay Snap-On's price for the one they had with the flaring tool as a 'kit'.
> Dennis

Jim,

I was just looking at the tool that Dennis bought on Snap-On's web site. My
only complaint, that I know of, is that the tool has wing nuts to tighten
down on the tubing.

My Imperial has a handle like you'd find on a vise or a C clamp and I think
it's probably easier for old hands like mine to tighten down.

I see that the kit containing the tubing cutter that Dennis was too cheap to
buy <g>, is also available in larger sets starting at about $15,000, so you
might want to consider the larger purchase.

John