Re: [ihc] Ford Solenoid wrong application?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Joel M Brodsky wrote:

> So, from most of what I'm seeing, people are using the Ford solenoid to
> activate the Start terminal on the Delco solenoid and this can be
> accomplished with a headlight relay, also.  How does Ford hook up the
> solenoid so that the relay truly switches the intended ~100A for which it
> was designed?  Headlight relays are typically 30/40A and the Start terminal
> draw is commonly about 7-8A

<snip>

> I don't have any issues with my solenoid. I run a set of 12-2 solid from
> the Start terminal and the Large power lug, into the cab to a high
> current momentary so that I can connect the starter directly. No ford
> solenoid needed.  One less electrical part needed.

I agree.

I'm on my 5th IHC SV vehicle, having bought the first one in 1972.

To date, I've never had a "heat soak" problem.

All my starter issues were caused by having to rebuild them every 100,000
plus miles or so, to replace copper disks (or to turn it over), brushes
and bushings.

YMMV

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided