[ihc] Re: Starter help 74/75 4wd TA

Joel-
You've got it right, Autozone starters are junk. The only way I would consider
one is if I could get one of the NEW ones, and they don't have them for IH
applications, I checked the other day. FWIW, I've heard that the cheaper
starters (1 year guarantee vs. lifetime) are often better. The reason being,
only the bad parts are replaced, leaving in a lot of the OEM stuff. On the
'lifetime' rebuilds, they get a full complement of new parts from Sri Lanka or
Bangladesh or someplace, which last just about long enough to get your
confidence up and leave you stranded. Rebuilding a Delco starter is not a big
deal, but I've priced out the parts to do it myself and it's just about as
cheap to go to a rebuilder as Allan recommends. I just lost the starter in my
73 today, when it went it went for real. Hit the key, and the ammeter needle
buried to the 'D' side so far you couldn't see it, and wires started smoking.
Took a couple of wires for a 'poor man's remote starter switch' and when I
crossed them, it tried to arc weld them together. Put on a 'used' starter that
was so rusty I couldn't get the solenoid screws out, but it's working and it
was free, and it will probably last as long as an Autozone 'lifetimer'.
Dennis