Re: [ihc] Antique plates--Good or Bad?

At 4:55 PM -0500 2/23/04, alan wrote:
Hi all,
I have a '79 Scout that I'm looking to re-introduce to public roadways and I'm curious about antique plates. In NJ the vehicle has to be 25 years old and I believe driven less than 3000 miles/year to qualify. I believe the payoff is no emissions testing and cheaper insurance.
If anyone has any opinions on the subject I'd love to hear them.
Thanks,
Alan
Alan,
important to know the limitations in your state. In VA, for one-time plate fee the Antique Tags get you out of emissions _and_ safety inspections. BUT, you can't use it as a daily driver, and the definition says no driving to work, and I forget the other text but would allow an ornery PO or JP to nail you at the grocery store. You're allowed to drive it to repairs, to road test repairs, to shows, or up to 250 miles for pleasure.
If you were crafty, you could just keep a little grease under the seat, if there's any problem, jam some under your fingernails and say you just set the point gap and wanted to test the driveability. :-)
Down here in central virginia, things are a bit looser than, say, Northern Virginia where I've seen motorcycle officers parked outside big apartment complexes, lining up everyone who drove out of the lot with out-of-state plates, expired stickers, etc.
Of course, I know nothing of NJ's laws.
Antique plates can be great depending on your use, or even a good first step to getting the scout fully inspectable.
However it turns out, best of luck with it!
Joel
3 Antique-tagged IHs on their way to new homes soon, I guess
--
Joel Furtek <http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll>; jf7e@domain.elided
Boatman, Virginia Women's Rowing 434/981-6811 (cell); 434/975-CREW (boathouse)