From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided]On Behalf Of Jim
Camery
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 9:59 AM
To: ihc-digest@domain.elided
Subject: [ihc] T-stat basket case - I respond to my own post

Yeah, I did a crappy job of explaining what I meant by 'basket' going
toward the rad or engine.

The deal was is that my 345 just wouldn't heat up.  Here in northern
Wisconsin, we haven't seen 32* in a month and had a week where we never
hit 0*.  I could get the coolant up to 160* by completely covering the
radiator w/cardboard.

I suspected that the thermo was stuck open or that there wasn't one or
that it was the wrong one or it was installed wrong or something else.

When I pulled the housing apart, the thermostat fell out before I had a
chance to see which direction it went.	There was no brand markings on it
other than '180*' stamped on the copper pellet (it maybe had some printed
markings that had worn off).  It doesn't look like the RS brand that I
bought from John Fleck, so I assume it was a Stant.  It was not stuck
open, at least after it hit the concrete.

My thought, though, is that a non-RS installed in any direction should
cause the truck to overheat, not overcool, right?  If it was upside down,
the water current would push it closed unless there was such a venturi
effect to overcome the spring.	If it was rightside up, the truck would
overheat because water wouldn't flow to the bypass.

In any case, the issue is now just moot and theoretical.  I have a 195* RS
thermostat; I've sandblasted the scale out of the housings and painted
them back to OEM Red; I'll put it back together tonight; and I'll have a
working defroster tomorrow.

--
Jim Camery