Re: [ihc] Re: RHD Power Steering

> From: <rottley@domain.elided>
> Subject: [ihc] Re: RHD Power Steering
>
> Hi,
> I have been following the RHD power steering thread as I own an Australian
> RHD scout with manual steering. In Aus. we have the option of using a Toyota
> steering box from a Landcruiser, but it doesn't give the same level of
> assistance as the original Saginaw box. I have heard of someone using a box
> from a Volvo car, but I don't know which one. However, in researching that I
> found out that the Volvo's of the 70's and 80's had Saginaw steering boxes.
> Don't know whether they are the same as the Scout box or not. I can't
> imagine that a Volvo would need the same steering boost as a Scout. Another
> possibility I have been pursuing is through the guys at the Steering Store
> (www.BuySteering.com <http://www.BuySteering.com>) I got the message below
> from them after my recent inquiry.
> Dennis,
> Thank you for visiting The Steering Store!
> It's doubtful that we'd be able to help as we only deal with LHD vehicles,
> but we can give it a try. We'd need the following info from you:
> 1. What is the casting number on the gear box case?
>
> 2. What is the rotation? In other words, if you turn the input shaft
> clockwise, does the output shaft of the box turn clockwise or
> counter-closewise (as you are looking at the end of the output shaft)?
>
> 3. What is the number of turns from lock to lock?
> We can go from that point and see what we may have available.
> I'm telling you this in case you want to pursue it further. I have just made
> contact with a man who is offering a wrecked scout with a good engine, power
> steering and airconditioning all salvageable. He only lives 900 miles away
> and wants more than its worth, but it is a better option for me than
> spending another 6 months trawling the net for the answer.
> Happy hunting
> Dennis
> 78 Traveler
> 46 K5
> 43 K5

I'm going to file this info away.  On a vehicle with the straight 6
cylinder engine, the LHD P/S box can work.  On a vehicle with a V8 you
run into problems - that trick won't work.  You either do the Ford box
switch, OR you get the "mythic Travelall box" and use that.  Yes, I know
it rotates in the wrong direction, but if you can mount it far enough
forward on the frame rail, it should work.  Either solution requires
some degree of fabrication, but at least the T/A box is a legitimate IHC
part.  And may save you some work with the pitman arm - I'm not sure on
that part.  Even if you could reverse the rotation on the T/A box, the
bolt holes don't line up, so it's probably not worth the effort to even
try that.

Dave