Re: [ihc] What's in your rear end?

On Friday, February 6, 2004, at 07:53 AM, Jim Grammer wrote:

From: "Jim Grammer" <jgrammer@domain.elided>
Date: Fri Feb 6, 2004  7:53:29 AM US/Pacific
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] What's in your rear end?
Jim,

That was not only a great post, but a really funny subject line!

I just put 3 quarts of Mobil 1 75W-140 gear oil along with a high filler cover in the rear of the Terra. I wasn't really paying attention when I bought the gear oil from Kragen and nearly passed out when I realized that it cost me over $15 a quart. That realization came to me when I was in a compromising position under my truck, and so I just went ahead and put it in.

My new diff cover came with a gasket, but it leaked a little. So, I drained the gear oil, used sealant only, and put the gear oil back in. I don't know about other factory recommendations, but Chrysler specifies no gasket for Jeep and Dodge truck diff covers.

The times, they changed a lot while I was not paying attention.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs