[ihc] What's in your rear end?

Just the friendly pseudo-regular reminder that the rear wheel bearings in
your SII or 1/2 ton full size D44 are what keep the wheels attached to the
truck :o)

I'm finally getting through the balance of the roadworthiness work on my '78
al fresco SII, and just went through the rear axle. After draining the
ragout passing as diff fluid(one chipped side gear tooth came out intact,
the other wasn't so lucky), I pulled the axles to find the inner seals still
in place and something that used to resemble grease lubing(or not) the wheel
bearings. In between the axle tubes featured an ungodly amount of internal
scaly rust. Glad the truck hasn't gone more than a few miles at a time since
I've had it.

It went back together with fresh Timken Set10 bearings(accept no substitute,
AZ has the best price) no inner seals, and CR outer seals(CSK/Parts America,
*very* nice units). A cover from a Bronco high pinion front axle went on,
and the fill hole is now high enough that I *know* there is oil in the wheel
bearings. The housing now takes something on the order of 3qts to fill :)

Couple of tips - when building your tube scraper, use a heavy shaft and a
beefy washer. Offset the washer about 1/2" from center when welding. A 2" OD
washer is just about perfect, wrap a solvent soaked rag(old sock works
great)around the end to swab the bore after scraping. Make yourself a right
angle adapter for your blow gun so that you can blow the tube from the
inside out. Most blow guns will take an NPT compression fitting, you can
make up tube tips from steel or copper in a few different shapes to suit. My
right angle tip is about 6" long with a 2" leg. It sits in the tool box
99.9% of the time, and for that last .1% it is absolutely necessary ;)

Jim