[ihc] Re: SII 345 compression test

I too have heard that IH engines take a long time to break in. What is the proper procedure to break in an IH and is it any different than breaking in a lesser engine?

A friend was in japan and went on a Honda factory tour. He said that at then end of the production line, the cars are started, driven a very short distance to a special area and run at full throttle (well before they have been warmed up) for some amount of time, don't remember what it was, might have been 15 minutes though. He said he was told that if the engines are going to break, they want it to happen right away. All hear say, but if true, then so much for break in!

Ken

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:22:56 -0500
From: "Marcus" <shodude@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [ihc] Re: SII 345 compression test

Well, I know what I would do if I were looking at a rebuilt 345 with 90psi
for compression. Rebuilt or now, I wouldn't look at it anymore. If it has
over 1K on it and the compression is still reading low, then it wasn't
broken in properly. Either way, with a compression range from 90-110, it's
still off and has issues.

Regardless of what IH was teaching their techs, 5K is excessive for seating
of the rings let alone 40K.

Marcus

Find great local high-speed Internet access value at the MSN High-Speed Marketplace. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/