[ihc] Spotlight on Rocky

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:35:59 -0500
From: Rocky Lear <rockylear@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Where should spotlights go?

Hello all....I have been trying to determine where factory spotlights would
have been mounted on a a 1000 series pickup. I assumed they were mounted in
the lower left corner of the windshield post but I recently saw pics of a
fire truck that had them mounted at the top corner. Where would they have
normally been installed?

Rocky

Define 'normal' and 'factory' ;)

I would be surprised if a fiddly job like fitting spotlights was done on the
line at Springfield unless it was part of a fleet order. More likely a TSPC
/ dealer / body installer job.

In any case, I think the answer is wherever you wanted them. Lower A-pillar
mounting seemed to be the most common, followed by roof mounting. Upper A
pillar is kind of funky, but gives you a smaller 'shady' spot to the front
of the truck and an unobstructed view to the side.

From the instructions with my NOS Appleton spot, it appears that mounting
locations are limited only by your imagination and the availability of
interior escutcheons that match the mounting surface. My A-120 pickup has
dual spots low on the A pillars. A roof mount would interfere with the
roto-beacon ;). What it really needs is telescoping work lights at the rear
corners of the service body, a la modern emergency vehicles.

Jim