[ihc] Re: TQ humor, TQ supplier

Dan, I like your method, sounds very effective.  I wish I had known of it
when I used to run one of those.  While it worked great, it never gave
better than 5 MPG loaded, empty, going uphill, going downhill, et cetera.
 My brother worked for a pump company that had a fleet of Dodge trucks
that had those, and they all had the same condition from the day they
were new, no matter how they were adjusted or how many times they were
rebuilt.  I was very annoyed that there was no way to tune it beyond
stock specs.  Not good when you have changed the cam, put on headers,
larger valves, and so on.  I ended up pulling it in favor of a Holley
spreadbore, and got the mileage up around 11 MPG.  However, I still feel
they were and still are a good carb, if one knows how to fix some of the
problems, and if parts were only available.  I have recently found a guy
in my area named Don Gould who has a fellow in his pocket that does
nothing but ThermoQuads, and even makes new parts for them so a person
can tune them properly.  His company name is FBO Systems, and his number
is 503-627-0728.  Don is a MoPar drag racer, and sells MoPar speed parts,
so his angle is toward racing, but his carb guy should be able to rebuild
yours and provide new metering rods and jets if you want to tune it for a
modified engine.  One other neat thing he makes is a high-output coil
that is designed to look stock, but has a much higher voltage.  It would
be an inexpensive upgrade to your coil without having to shell out the
money that MSD and other high-performance companies charge.  I do not
remember how much he charges, but I want to say it is less than $20.
Give him a call.
-Colin Rush