Re: [ihc] need some advice on possible scout purchase

At 8:44 AM 2/1/04, Joseph Shaw, II wrote:

If it's stock, a 196 powered 800 should have 4.27 gears, same as the 152
800's did. does fine highway with these, and will even pull an overdrive
ratio (yep, I once swapped a Dana 18 case with Warn OD into a 196 800 with
4.27 gears and it worked fine, even with 31" tires, on the highway, AT 7K
HOME ALTITUDE.

If you want more, a 196 is a NATURAL for a turbo. The engine is enormously
strong relative to its output, there is GOBS of room for plumbing both
under the hood AND in front of the radiator (for an IC). With an (export
only) low compression head and matching pistons, one could likely run
20--25 psi of boost without a blink if it were converted to injection !!
Finding a late model, improved cooling type, 196 might be a wise idea if
one were planning to get this crazy.

A (IH) V-8 into a 4 cyl 800 is NEVER an easy swap !! Frame, radiator,
radiator location, transmission location, shifter cane holes in the tunnel
cover (fore and aft location thereof), bell housing, clutch linkage,
steering linkage (drag link length), steering box (inside vs. outside
frame), driveshaft lengths are ALL different !!

A 196 from a Scout II will swap in, but you will need the bell housing,
tranny input shaft, intake manifold, clutch and linkage, motor mounts, and
all of the accessory drive brackets from a 4 cyl in a Scout 80/800 to make
it work. 152 and 196 intake manifolds are not the same (much taller intake
ports on a 196). Early vs. Scout II 4 cyl intakes are not the same because
the engines were mounted with the bank of cylinders sitting at different
angles in the trucks--450 in a Scout II, vs. 30 0 in the Scout 80/800's.

Greg