From: Dennis Bernth
Date: 1/29/2004 10:47:43 PM
To: ihc@domain.elided
Cc: cookiedan@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] darn gas

Dan-
The nylon line comes from the tank to the fuel pump; there is a short
section of rubber hose that hooks the nylon line to the pump. Then a steel
line comes out of the pump and runs up the front of the engine, next to the
timing cover, and by the distributor, which you probably already know. On
Scouts that I've seen, I think the only break in the steel line is where the
filter fits in with two short pieces of hose, down behind the fan belts by
the distributor. A lot of us (me included) who have gone to other carbs have
more rubber hose than stock; I probably have under a foot at the carb, all
located over the top of the intake, and a few inches at the fuel pump. If
you've got an electric pump and you're 'pushing' through the nylon tube and
into the hose, I'd go from nylon to rubber to steel tube down by where the
stock fuel pump mounts, and go steel from there on up until you need to go
rubber for your filter. The less rubber fuel hose you can use the better,
since as you and Ryan seem to have found out, the stuff doesn't seem to be
getting any better in quality. The braided stainless stuff looks trick and
might be the way to go, but it probably isn't necessary. Five bucks worth of
5/16" steel brake line and some patience bending it, and you'll be set.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of IMSTP.gif]