Re: [ihc] Thanks for the RHD P/S help & info

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bongo" <dbongo@domain.elided>
To: "IHC Digest" <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 6:20 PM
Subject: [ihc] Thanks for the RHD P/S help & info

> John, Ryan, Paul, Howard, Mike, et. al.
>
> Thanks for the help and suggestions.
>
> Howard, you have given me some disheartening news about no stock P/S
> setup for RHD, but I'll deal with it.  The current setup works, my only
> issue is the custom fabricated P/S pump bracket.  Which, when you really
> stop to think about it, isn't THAT big a deal.
>
> John, I've had the wheel bearings checked, but I'll check them again.  I
> really, really think it's the gearbox, but it can't hurt to check other
> stuff first.
>
> Ryan and Mike, I asked about this on the BB, and he had no real answers
> there.  Of course, searching through the threads shows a few different
> utilized and proposed solutions, so maybe he did figure something out.
> Hopefully he has.
>
> Paul, I'd rather not have to rebuild the gearbox, but will if
> necessary.  It was rebuilt about a year ago, but maybe I caught a bad
> rebuild.  God knows I can't catch a break with the Cherokee, but I'll
> deal with it if it is the box.  Not the end of the world, you know?  But
> yeah, I will check out the movement of the output shaft tomorrow
> (weather permitting) and that alone might send it off to the rebuilder.
>
> For those of you who have experienced both, what is the difference
> between manual and power steering?  My Scout I can steer with a pinky.
> Very easy.  My Cherokee requires more effort than that, as do all the
> other cars I drive semi-frequently.  Going to manual steering does have
> some plusses (e.g. only the gearbox, no pump to worry about) but it may
> be outweighed by the minuses.

I can't speak for scouts.  I will share my experience with the pickup with &
without p/s.  With standard size tires, and the increased gear ratio of the
manual steering, I had better road feel and reasonable ability for parallel
parking, etc.  This was a 1970 1200D.  When I started using it for a lot of
offroad stuff; spraying weeds and pleasure exploring, the volume of turning
requested a p/s unit.  I made the change and have not regretted it.  When I
changed to 245/70 x 19.5 load range G ( 12 ply) tires, and put the 900 lb
snow plow on it, it was almost a necessity.  That was between 1980 and 2000.
Later when I redesigned the first plow, and made it an 8 way,  reiforced the
mounting, and mounted it to the 1972 1310, the weight increased to 1100 lbs.
The pickup, plow, and boom gross just under 10,000 lbs.  Now I would not
like to be without the P/S.  Even so, if I  had one just for road use, I
would be happy with manual steering.
If you would like a picture of the plow in use reply.  I don't have a web
site up for that yet.  If you have time for the down load there are pictures
with a description.  Just click on the ural at the bottom of my Signature.
Jim Aos
jaos@domain.elided
Okanogan, WA

72 1310 I.H.C 4x4      244000 miles