Re: [ihc] Pass vs. Driver side battery

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac McMuffin" <mac@domain.elided>
To: "Jim Camery" <jcamery@domain.elided>; <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 16:11
Subject: RE: [ihc] Pass vs. Driver side battery

> ## >> When restoring/renovating an IH 'C' travelall, is there any
> ## >> good reason to
> ## >> not move the battery from the driver's to the passenger side
> ## >> (if it fits
> ## >> along the alternator?)?  Or is a 10' long battery cable just
> ## >> inevitable?
> ## >> Has anyone ever mounted the battery on the firewall like on
> ## >> an old SAAB?
> ## >>
> ## >> --
> ## >> Jim Camery

Look at the Mercedes... the newer ones have the batter... get this... under
the rear seat!  Open the hood and you can't find the battery because it's in
the back...

> if you can find an old A or B series (1957 to 1960) truck to copy from, or
> know where there is a junked one to steal it from, the battery tray is on
> the passenger side firewall just above the engine.  in my opinion, this is
> one of the best locations i've yet seen for the tray.  my own 1960 B122
has
> it there.  i don't know how well this would work with the later series C
> through C (1961 to 1968), but it might be worth investigating.
>
> --Mac

Also, I imagine they did some dual battery setups in the C series, which
would have a passenger side battery.  Hence, it seems that you could locate
one there for a shorter cable.

I think if I was going to put a battery on that side, I'd be really tempted
to do a dual battery setup... yes I know that defeats the initial purpose...
I'm still wanting to get the time to put on board air on the scout... under
the step would be a good place for an air tank, right?

Thanks,
Ryan