Re: [ihc] Quick, hide the Scout

on 1/21/04 1:31 PM, Allan Ericson at lowvolt@domain.elided wrote:

> John-
>
> Didn't your map show whether that gate was private property or leased land?
> In Arizona, it had better be private property, and there had better be no
> right of way there. I'm sure things are different in California, because you
> have more government bureaucrats than we have people in the general
> population, but BLM, National Forest, and State Trust land is all open to
> the public, the latter requiring either a state permit or a valid hunting
> license (fishing license okay, too, but it's harder to lie about that when
> there's no place to fish).

Actually, Allan, the map showed the trail coming out onto the blacktop. It
was a topo map that had locked gates marked and such, but no locked gate was
indicated at the junction of the trail and the road.

In regard to private property, the land adjoining the road probably was
private property, but the trail was historical and indicated on maps as a
4WD route. The map was seemingly older than the lock, but the trail was a
hundred years older than either.

John