[ihc] Paul's gold plated rollers

From: "Beijer, P.A.C." <P.A.C.Beijer@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Timken prices

Hi all,

I just went to my local bearing house for an inner wheel bearing for my '74
200 2WD. I was unpleasantly surprised when I had to pay almost $100 for one
26823 cup and one 26884 cone. Both original Timken.
Later I looked at Napaonline and found that they list the complete bearing
for only $40. Not Timken but their own Napa brand. And they offer an even
cheaper, probably chinese replacement.
Is Timken really that much more expensive or is the Dutch importer here
trying to rob me?

Paul

Paul, IMHO you're getting hosed. That combo in BCA(reputable) brand is $37
at Kragen(Parts America). That tells me it is a fairly common application. A
quick look at the interchange for the cone on Timken's website shows it used
on pretty much every GM 1 ton 2WD '74 - '98, and that's just in the first of
6 pages. Either your importer is jacking you, or they're buying from the
wrong place.

Jim