RE: [ihc] fuel gauge problem

Ryan, Dave, Ken, John, John, & anyone else following this thread. First,
thanks to all who responded with helpful suggestions. I'm storing them (as I
do most digest traffic) for later. I know I have old wiring, corroded /
loose connections, bad grounds, etc., and will be doing a complete re-wiring
job a little at a time. (I'm using the Dave N. / hardware store approach - I
don't trust that I could buy a "correct" complete harness, never mind the
extra expense...) But for now: I did find the connection to the clutch
pedal.

The wire from the tank switch to the sending units goes through the firewall
before it splits off to the two tanks. It passes through a grommet very
close to the mounting point for the clutch pedal pivot. I had been focused
on that spot (because of the gauge fluctuation when the pedal was
depressed), and missed another length up above that I thought wasn't
touching anything. There was a bare spot in the wire up near the pedal
return spring that was making contact only when the spring was flexed. So, a
piece of tape, and end of problem for now - I'll be running new wire and
connectors later. Need to refresh all of it. Also, I don't like the way IH
(or a P.O.?) routed half of what's under the dash. It's a mess... The gauge
works fine now, though. Thanks again, -John A.
---