Re: [ihc] The scout

Ryan Moore wrote:

in the axle tubes too. I came up on a problem when I tried to install them
though. I already had the spring plate holes enlarged to accomodate the
larger bolts, but I found that the grooves in the axle slant slightly
outward. This means that the u-bolts don't line up... to the point that the
holes would extend off of the original spring plates if I made them line up.

The U-bolts need to be installed perpendicular to the axle tube. NO ANGLES other than 90.

Otherwise they can loosen up when they finally DO end up at a 90-deg angle.

What "grooves" are you speaking of? The cast in grooves for the U-bolts on the passenger side (the driver's should have none).

If it's canted, it's probably because the grooves don't really accomodate the thicker U-bolt as well as you'd like them to.

A grinder will fix all of that. :D