From: "Mike & Sherry Bolton" <ihmike@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 10:58
Subject: [ihc] Thank you, Santa Claus!!...(Long)

> Here's a note from a long-time lurker; I've only posted once or twice.
> Now that my "Quest" is realized, you'll hear more from me.

Glad to hear that part!

> After a long time (7 years) of stopping by at a neighbor's and offering
> to buy his *Special* Scout, I finally contacted them this fall, and they
> were willing to sell. (A sad note, the original owner was stricken with
> Alzheimer's, and had no more use for it as a hunting vehicle.)

It's always sad when that happens.  We ended up with our '70 chevy pickup
because the original owner died and his sun apparently had no time nor
inclination to fix it up.

> I've been a Scout owner since 1987, and have been very happy with my
> Diesel Scout. It's been a loyal servant, taking me to the Nationals
> twice, RMIHR 4 times, Lynn Faeth's Midwest Classic 8 times, and to 4 Red
> Power Roundups. Some of you may have seen it, a 1980 Green-and-White
> Rallye with the White-Yellow-and-Orange Rallye stripe.
> It's time to turn the page now, and devote my time and treasure to the
> true object of my IH fixation. The *Special* Scout I mention is none
> other than the *Last Scout Built*. Its condition leaves something to be
> desired, but it is far from hopeless. It will take a considerable
> investment, but the special nature of this machine demands that it be
> brought back to a respectable condition.
> It will be made available at occasional show and events for those who
> want a glimpse into the past to that moment when that particular Scout's
> rolling down the line meant the end of a very proud endeavor.

Glad you'll keep it availible for everyone to see!

> Here's a view of how it looks today:
>
>  http://www.redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/Visitor2Woods.JPG

Doesn't look bad at all.  Is that winch going to go away or are you going to
keep it there since that's how the original owner set it up?  IE, are you
going to make it to how it rolled off the line or how it was used?

> While the Scout was being built, the workers at the Factory wrote
> somewhere on the truck where it would not be discovered for some time.
> They painted the bellhousing Farmall Red, and wrote in Permanent Marker.
> Here is what was written on the bellhousing on *The Last Scout*:
>
> http://www.redpowermagazine.com/uploads/upload.cgi/Clutch2.JPG

Really kind of sad to see it.  I'd rather that such a scout not exist
(becuase that'd mean that production never ended).  With the amount of time
you've put into trying to obtain this scout, my humble opinion is that you
should be the perfect person to bring it back to its former glory.

> The purchase of this Scout at this time represents the Christmas present
> from my wife to me, as she has been very understanding and supportive.
> In truth, it'll probably be Christmas presents, and birthday presents
> from her to me for years to come, as the Scout gets body mounts, and
> floor pans, rust patches, and end caps. I'll keep all you Digesters
> informed as days go by.

Remember to remind her that it'll make shopping for you easier...

> Ironically, the *Last Light Line* is a scant 20 minutes' drive away. A
> friend of mine was looking for an all wheel drive heavy
> last-year-of-production IH truck to pull his rare IH tractors to shows.
> I found him that particular truck on an auction listing that came in the
> mail. No one knew that it was the last one. It did, however have a build
> date of May 5, 1975. I told him to check it out, just because its build
> date was so remarkably "Late". As it turned out, research by Navistar's
> Legal and Reliability people found that it was indeed the *Last Light
> Line IH Truck*.
> There is more information posted at:
>
> http://www.last.cornbinder.com/

Amazing.  The opportunity for someone to see those two very special IH's in
the same day.  Which begs a fairly direct question... will you allow those
of us who travel to venture by if we happen to be in the area, or would you
rather keep it somewhat tucked away except for the shows?

> When the weather gets more favorable, and the salt is off all our roads
> up here in Iowa, I'll roll the Scout over to my friend Nick's house, and
> get pictures of the *Last 2* together. That will have to be a first.

Good idea on waiting for the salt to dissapear... no point in exposing it to
more than neccessary.

> That's probably enough for now, but to say to Ed Sohm that it was nice
> for him to stop over yesterday; that was a nice visit. Always a
> pleasure.
>
> Mike Bolton

Once again, good to hear from you, welcome to the posting world!

-Ryan