Re: [ihc] Rusty water

Hello Grant,

I had a rusty water problem in my Scout for years. I eventually found out
that was caused by a leaking head gasket. It seems that with combustion
by-products leaking into the radiator they cause the coolant to turn acid.
The acid then accelerates the rusting. I confirmed the problem by purchasing
a test kit for about $25.00.

The test kit is easy to use. You just remove some coolant to allow an inch
space below the cap and with the cap removed you place a glass tube with the
blue test fluid in the opening. You then use a rubber bulb to draw air from
the radiator while the engine is running. If the test fluid turns yellow
you've got a leak

I've had 2 345's rust through the head gaskets. If this is the problem it
would be best to deal with it now as you will eventually have water in the
cylinder. I didn't realize I had a problem, other then the rust, until I was
pulling a load and the coolant was overflowing the recovery tank.

Good luck

Tom