RE: [ihc] Center pins

I have a good story on the subject of scary shifting axles.

I drove a semi for a while in 95-96('86 Pete 359, 425 Cat, 15 speed).
On one trip, I loaded meat in Iowa bound for Texas with two drops,
Arlington and Lubbock.  As I rolled down the interstate south of OK
City, there was a big bang and a truck driver behind me told me I must
have hit something because he saw something go flying.  Nothing seemed
out of the ordinary but I stopped at Paul's Valley and looked everything
over.  I couldn't find anything so I kept going.

Arlington, Lubbock, pick up a load of cheese in Lovington, NM and head
for the caves outside of Carthage, MO.  Deliver there and the dispatcher
found a load of chicken going right back home out of a plant not far
south of there. I can't remember the name of the town. Cassville? The
name is not important unless you are looking at a map or know the area.

I drop my trailer at the dock and pull away.  Another trucker hollers at
me on the CB asking what is wrong with my truck.  I get parked and look
it over.  The front drivers side is drooping.  Lift the hood and notice
that the axle is slid back about 4" and the u bolts are angled.  Closer
examination reveals that the bottom leaf had broken right through the
center hole and the front half was gone. Quick call to the dispatcher
and I learn there is a Peterbilt dealer in Joplin, but they don't think
they can come tow it in until the next day.  What if I drive it in? They
will fix it that night, they are open 24 hrs.  Getting dark, no
taillights on the truck, it is always hooked to a trailer.  I sure don't
want to get stopped for no tail lights and have to tell them that the
only reason I am bobtailing is to limp into the shop to get my steer
axle slid back before it falls off.  I take the back roads.  Now, if you
are looking at a map, you can appreciate how foolish it was to try to
take back roads with a loose axle.  Curves in the middle of curves.
LSS, I made is there and they fixed me up.  Living proof that God looks
after idiots. I wouldn't do it again. I was in a hurry, wanted to make
money, save the tow bill, and get back home rather than lose my load and
sit at George's Chicken in SW Missouri all weekend. No offense intended
to George or to SW Mo.

Center bolts are pretty easy to find (NAPA), and cheap.  I wasn't sure
what size we needed for a Scout so I got 2 each of three different sizes
for ~$10 and kept the extras. The worst part of the job was loosening
and re-tightening the u-bolts to get the new pin in.  I'm with Tom, 5/16
or 3/8"

Ed Sohm
Battle Creek, IA

'71 800 B