[ihc] Compressed air plumbing

TIP tools has some guidelines for plumbing up a shop for air. When I worked at a machine shop on the eastern shore of Maryland (extreme humidity, some times the air hose would squirt like a garden hose) we installed a new compressor with a homemade drier. We used 1 1/2" pipe and made an ess pattern on the wall: 6' vertical up, over 1', then back down 6', repeated 3 or 4 times. Instead of elbows at the end of a vertical down pipe, we used a tee. We put a short section of pipe and a drain valve on the straight section. The idea is that all that cold pipe will condense out droplets and they will go straight and not make the turn. We put this between the compressor and tank with the check valve after it, this way any leaks in all those joints wouldn't cause the compressor to cycle. Also, you can leave the drain valves so they just barely leak and self drain. I think its a good idea to run your pipe high along the wall, then run a vertical down pipe to your regulator with a tee at the bottom, again positioned so that the droplets will go straight, while the air makes a right angle turn. Just like with wiring, its always good to allow for future hookups, instead of using couplings to join straight sections of pipe, use a tee and a pipe plug, it makes it much easier to add a new drop. (Same thing with electrics, don't use a coupler to join conduit, put in a box with a blank plate and make a loop of wire in the box, makes it very easy to add a new outlet.)
Eric Walter