Re: [ihc] RE: Tow Straps and thermostats

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: <Binder@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Cc: "'Dan Nees'" <danees@domain.elided>; <T_R_E_Jr@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 5:04 PM
Subject: [ihc] RE: Tow Straps and thermostats

> At 5:57 PM -0600 12/11/03, Binder wrote:
> >Hi Everyone,
> >
> >This seems to be my opinion (as it forms, after some quick web research).
> >One thing that really caught my eye last night - I found a really neat
> >looking strap (http://www.talcospecialties.com/web6.htm). Very stout.
> >Boasted a MIGHTY capacity. But then I noted it said "Not for lifting
> >applications..." a few times in the ad. But it advocated TOWING. At first
> >blush, I wonder, "What's the big difference?"  Then I wondered if really
> >what they meant was "DO NOT USE AS A SLING or HOIST".  I know some
materials
> >have phenomenal strength but can still be easily cut or "crushed" - and
> >perhaps slinging might jeopardize such a material.  Am I close, do you
know?

    Some things, like the cable that my winch came with had a listed
breaking strength.  That is typically rated with a safety factor of between
1/2 to 1/5th of the actual breaking strength.  As John said regarding the
pulling not lifting ratings.  Because I wanted to lift with my winch, I made
sure it would hold with the built in brake, then I started lifting to the
stall limit.  I then weighed the items, and finally came up with
understanding that I can lift about 900lbs. with my 2000 lb winch.  I have
made repeated lifts, that would total over 200 tons of rock without any
failure of that winch.  I feel that John has a good view of strap
selections.
    Because we live in a litigation society, we have all kinds of limits and
restrictions, in order to protect us from ourselves.   (My opinion).  All
this is from a guy that rode a crane boom down 50' in 1965.  I was 25 then
and have become much more cautious.  Jim A.