RE: [ihc] differential bearings

What lubricant do you use on diff bearings?  I'm at the point where I'm installing the new differential.  Can anyone answer this bearing lube question?

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Jim or Ginger Aos [mailto:jaos@domain.elided]
	Sent: Mon 12/8/2003 9:28 PM
	To: Steve Jackson; ihc@domain.elided
	Subject: Re: [ihc] differential bearings

	----- Original Message -----
	From: "Steve Jackson" <sjackson@domain.elided>
	To: <ihc@domain.elided>
	Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 7:06 PM
	Subject: [ihc] differential bearings

	> I'm finally getting around to install my new differential in a Dana 44
	> on my '72 Scout II.  I've gone through the shop manual, but I just
	> wanted clarification on something.  Should the differential bearings be
	> packed with standard bearing grease before going on the differential?
	> The old bearings seem to be lubricated by the axle oil, but maybe
	> they've just been worked clean over the years?  The manual mentions:
	>
	> "Prelubricate differential bearings with specified lubricant.  Place
	> differential bearing cups over bearings.  Assemble case into housing."
	>
	> However, there doesn't seem to be a "specified lubricant" or is there?

	Steve, going back to the days of grinding camshafts, we had coated the bare
	metal with some process that held the oil on the new surface.  I was told
	that it was needed untill the the parts had been "broken in" .  To the best
	that I understand, the lube oil did not stick to the bare parts, or it was
	to give cushion untill the parts were seated or mated or?   Whatever went
	on, a light grease that is compatible with the oil is what I use.  And even
	though I haven't had any premature failures with that yet, I am sure that
	some one with the proper info. will speak up.  Good luck, Jim A.

	Jim Aos
	jaos@domain.elided
	Okanogan, WA

	72 1310 I.H.C 4x4      244000 miles