Re: [ihc] Robertshaw 'Stats, Anyone?

---It was less than a year ago that I visited the RS website in search of a
cut away diagram or some sort of explanation about this so-called bypass. I
bought a RS 180 (IIRC) from AutoZone and it did not have any small port or
anything, no valve that I could see. The package had been taped closed, so I
thought I was getting some customer's replacement product (thank you very
much) rather than what was supposed to be in the package. I didn't find any
diagrams or images of the RS thermostat, but what I did find was a link to
their partner companies and guess what, Stant was listed and the link took
me right to the Stant site. FWIW, I posted on the digest about it and if
anyone followed the links, if I posted them, which I believe I would have...
they would have gone to the same place that I did. At that point, I stated
in the message that Stant was the same company as Robert Shaw.

---I haven't found anything on Robert Shaw's site relating to thermostats,
though the site has the selection in their list, when I search, the results
come up nil. I did not perform an extensive search and did not even look for
a site map. It simply is not that important at the moment. About 8 mos. ago
when I put my motor back together, RS and Stant were* the same company. I
don't do drugs and I didn't have a smoker/grill at the time, so smoking
anything* was not an option. FWIW, I posted on the digest when I found this
info, and the URL may have even been included in that posting. I went to the
Robert Shaw site and under a link similar to "about us" or "product
information" were their partner companies. Stant was* listed and the Stant
logo was a link that took me to the Stant website.

---The reason I ended up going to the RS website is because the thermostat I
got from AutoZone had been taped closed and I wanted to get a look at the RS
thermostat so I could see if maybe mine was swapped out by a previous
customer. I didn't see any bypass on this thermostat and I wanted to see an
image on the RS site to compare it to. Not getting any response regarding a
site that had an image of the RS thermostat, left me to search on my own.

---Is this bypass/valve like the one on my/my wife's `93 Pathfinder? More or
less a hole with a check valve of some sort blocking it. Shake it and it
rattles... could be constructed using a ball bearing slightly larger than
the ID of the hole?

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)