[ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #247

Thanks for responding Alan. This is the kind of info that really helps.
I've got the line set ticket for my truck and it does say that it's a 66
now that I look at it. That's interesting. The door is from another
vehicle so I don't expect that number plate to match up. I assume
there's another hidden serial number somewhere on the frame. Where would
that be?

ihc-digest wrote on 12/2/2003, 11:40 PM:

 > David-
 >
 > Welcome to IHC digest.
 >
 > It sounds as though you have a 66 travelall registered as a 67. The 66
 > model
 > is 1200A, 67 is a 1200B. The 1200B has a dual chamber brake master
 > cylinder.
 > The 1200A has a combo clutch and brake setup.

Did they change the firewall to do that? Not having seen another one
like this one recently makes it hard for me to compare. These don't seem
like the most common trucks but if you like them you like them. It sure
does ride a bunch better than my Dodge pickup of the same vintage. I
guess the built in shackle reversal makes a big difference to say
nothing of the ram assist power steering.

 > The 74/75 axles came with discs. They are hard to find and expensive to
 > repair. Chevy axles will also bolt on, 72-87. Obviously, the hydraulics
 > would have to be altered. No matter what, those wheels you bought
 > won't work
 > anymore. The last year for the 6 on 7.25 pattern was 68, the 1200C.

I knew that was a risk when I bought the wheels but perhaps someone has
already figured out a disk conversion for the axles. I know the
Powerwagons with a similar bolt pattern have been converted so I'll keep
looking. I suspect flushing the lines and cylinders and checking the
drums and linings should improve the situation enough for now. I would
love to get a dual circuit system going since I've had that awful
feeling of losing brakes entirely with a smaller vehicle and this ones
mass is inescapable. It's complicated by the power booster that is only
capable of supporting a single circuit system but the street rodders
have come up with remote systems that work if I can figure out a way to
get the right master cylinder in there.

 > Fenders are the same from 63-68, pickups and travelalls of all sizes
 > are the
 > same.

That's what it looked like to me. Thanks for the confirmation

 > I have a 66 barn door parts travelall. If you want to make the
 > conversion,
 > it's in good enough shape, and it has all the parts you need. I am in AZ.
 > No, I will not ship it, and I will not carve it up. The axles are both
 > there, but the rear has no carrier, so it needs to be trailered. The
 > travelall is just south of the petrified forest.
 >

 > - -Allan

I'm near Seattle (realized after I sent the message I forgot to mention
that) so your truck is a bit far off for me but thanks for the offer. If
I had a big enough truck to come fetch it with I'd be tempted. I bet
coming from Az your cowl doesn't have the generic problem mine does. I
don't think I'd cut one up now that people have pointed out to me that
the support for the rear doors extends forward so it's not like you
could just take the rear pillars and back. Oh well was hoping it would
be easier than it is but that's ok. Probably a body swap is what I
should be looking at. If one doesn't turn up I'll keep your offer in
mind. I've gone farther for my car craze before so it is all good. I've
got family in Colorado and it seems like there's lots of these rigs down
there also.

Thanks again for the response and to the people that responded to me
off-line. I'm glad to be aboard and I'll keep everyone informed of my
progress. I get a big satisfaction out of taking vehicles that haven't
been regularly used and turning them back into daily driver material.
What's the point of having an old vehicle if you can't even drive it?
Well I should talk I've got a Willys wagon I've turned into a yard shed
out back. Works real good for that. What a difference between trucks.
The Willys looks pretty wimpy in comparison. I like unusual vehicles
though and have accumulated more than I should. Good thing I have a
place out in the country where the neighbors won't complain about my
collection and my shop. I don't know what it is about some vehicles that
leads to them turning into 2 or three. My friend in Wyoming took me to a
collection at someone's house. It was a classic scene. The dozen or
better assorted Scouts, Trucks and Travelalls scattered over the
property, the big dogs and the greeting by the guy on the porch of his
mobile home with the shotgun were all classic sites. I can't go there
till my friend gets back obviously but at least I know one good parts
stash. It's a sickness but a fun one. Thanks again for responding.

David V