Re: [ihc] Another brake (?) question

James Lidberg wrote:

> From:                   David Bongo <dbongo@domain.elided>
> Subject:                [ihc] Another brake (?) question
> > something is "sticking" and the truck makes a funky noise, like the
> > brakes are rubbing.
>
> If the rod between the master cylinder and the brake booster is too long the brakes will drag.

I'll have my mechanic check it out.

> Ceramic type disk brake pucks tend to stick in the calipers.
>
> If new pads are installed in old calipers the pucks might stick because the calipers have gunk in them.

The rear calipers are brand new (well, freshly remanufactured) and the
fronts have seen less than a year of service.  I can have the mechanic
check it out, but it should all be OK.

> Do any of the rotors get too hot?
>
> Warm is OK, hot is not.

Well, I checked the driver's (i.e. right side) front and rear today.  On
the route, the front wheel was too hot to touch.  The rear wheel was
warm, but uncomfortable.  This was when I was about 2/3 done with the
route, so figure I made something like 350-400 stops in 1hr 45min.
Roughly.  The brakes dragged signifcantly at the end of the route, but
once I hit the open road (i.e. driving back to the office) it was all
good.  The truck sat in the parking lot for about 15 minutes before I
checked the wheels again, and the rear was cool, the driver's was warm,
but not hot.

About a week ago, there were no signs of excessive heat or wear on the
rotors, as I specifically had the mechanic check for ANY signs of ANY
problems.  (I'm a bozo in regards to brakes, so I just pay somebody for
anything I'm even remotely unsure of.  Why take a chance?)

Thanks,

Dave