RE: [ihc] Slight lift to older Travelall

## >> One of the things I'm wanting to do with the swap is improve
## >> my steering
## >> radius. So sticking with the 60s trucks is likely not worth
## >> the trouble - I
## >> would only get the extra height and capacity. I'm getting
## >> from Allan and
## >> other posters that a 1210 or 200 front end will bolt right in
## >> to my '67. So
## >> that's what I'll look for if I do the swap. If I can't find a
## >> donor right
## >> away, I will likely follow Tom's tip about the Chevy lift kit
## >> in front, and
## >> taller blocks in back.

i meant to touch on this earlier.  as Allan E pointed out, all 1-ton or
higher IH trucks have closed knuckle front drive axles, as do all
120/1200/1210 and below before 1973.  to improve your turning radius, you
will have to get open knuckle axles from a '73, '74, or '75 of the 3/4-ton
variety.  "light" 200, 1210, 1200, etc and down.  if you don't get the open
knuckles, your steering radius will not improve one bit.

i'm not terribly disappointed in the turning radius of my 1110 with the
closed knuckles, but they tell me i'm weird, so my opinion may not mean
much. one thing i definitely recommend, though.  if you do end up with
closed knuckles (whether you keep the ones you have or get new ones), open
them up and replace the top kingpin bushings with tapered roller bearings
just like the bottom kingpins should have.  they pop right in and work
great.  i did this with mine, and i believe others have done this to their
axles as well.  it is FAR superior and will last longer.  i can't speak for
others, but mine seems to turn with less effort, too.  like maybe the power
steering doesn't have to work as hard to turn the wheels or something.

normal grain of salt disclaimers apply.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde