Re: [ihc] Slight lift to older Travelall

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, John M. Adams wrote:

> My front spring assembly has the shackle in the rear, with the spring eye
> connected at the bottom of the shackle. My rear spring assembly has the
> shackle in the rear also, but with the spring eye connected at the top of
> the shackle. So it seems that the following would be true: If I only use
> longer shackles on this rig, both axles will rotate in a direction that
> would increase the drive shaft angle, which I want to avoid as much as
> possible.

Even more than that, lenthening the rear spring shackles will DROP your
rear end, while lengthening the front will raise it.

> So I have to do more than just shackles. But what? My thoughts are: I don't
> want to add a plate/block spacer between the spring packs and the axles.

The factory put a lift block between your rear springs and the rear axle.
You can swap this out with a taller block - do not *stack* the blocks, but
you can replace it with a taller one.

> I only want/need 2" or 3" inches of lift. On this year Travelall, what is
> the best way to achieve that without having to modify steering and

Other than custom springs, I'd do the following:

Look at the rear of your front springs, at the shackle.  Notice the rivet
pattern?  Look about 2" behind (to the rear) the shackle, and you should
see that same pattern again.

If you grind the rivets off, and punch them out, you can slide the
shackle mounts rearward about 2", and then bolt it back into place.

Why do that?  You can then order a front lift kit for a 73-87 Chevy pickup
and bolt it in.  Subtract about 2" from the advertised Chevy lift.  My
math says a 4" Chevy lift is good for about 2" on a 1/2T Travelall.

If you really plan to load down the rear end, I'd look for a set of 3/4T
springs from a Travelall or pickup, along with overload springs and the
overload mounting brackets.  I would keep the basic spring/shackle setup,
and use lift blocks to achieve your desired ride height.

If you're not going to load it down, then you can keep your stock springs,
cut the shackle hangers from the frame, turn 'em upside down, and swap
side to side and net several inches of lift.  You'll probably need a
degree shim to re-adjust your pinion angle.

I'd keep the "tension shackle" (spring above shackle eye) for load
capacity, or flip it over to compression style (like the front) or
articulation and a soft ride.

-Tom