[ihc] Re: stolen axles and clowns who take them

If it had been me, I would have dispensed with dickering over the price, and gotten the sheriff involved immediately.  If he pays up, he has not learned not to steal, just to not jawbone in public about it.
Getting the law involved would have given him time to reflect on it, or made him pay for the axle and the legal fees or fine, and you still would have had your axle back.  There are too many people like that.  Case in point, my roommate had his sand rail tires and wheel stolen in the night.  Neither of us heard it, just came out the next day and found the rail up on jack stands.  My brother had his Warn winch jacked on a busy street.  How anyone had the guts to break 4 large rusty squeaky bolts and walk off with a heavy winch on a main thoroughfare is beyond me.  Another guy I know kept his hi-po Ford parts at a house a little ways outside of town.  Some guys broke in and stole truckloads of performance parts before the neighbors called the homeowner.  He notified all those in the area who were into Ford stuff (nice part about living in a smaller town, everyone knows everyone else who is into a certain hobby or has similar interests). One of those he notified noticed a pair of hemi-type Ford heads (very rare) for sale on eBay in Portland, Oregon, and contacted eBay to let them know they were stolen, who in turn contacted the police, who visited the seller.  He rounded up most of the parts that had not been sold yet and returned them in exchange for a lighter punishment. I see that stuff too often where I live, and it is spreading everywhere.  I am glad you got your axle back or got paid for it, but I really wish you had put the screws to him.
-Colin Rush

<SNIP>
I simply asked him for $150
> or my axle back, his jaw just about dropped. He started talking BS
> until I grabed my cell phone from my pocket and offered to call the
> Sherrif to report his aquisition. Suddenly he became much more
> negotiable......
<SNIP>

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!