Re: [ihc] Diesel scheming.

> So for $4500 or so I could get a complete (cut off behind the front
> doors) '93 E350 van chassis with 19,000 miles on it. 7.3 diesel
> (non
> turbo), Od automatic, 4.10 rear end, new injection pump......

Hi Ed, Don't know if you are aware of this, but the Navistar 7.3 IDI
(Indirect Injection) has overly thin cylinder walls which are prone to
cavitation erosion.  This became a warranty problem for Ford and they
eventually recommended a coolant additive be used.  The additive coats
the water jacket with a sacrificial layer which is attacked by the
cavitation, thereby protecting the thin cylinder walls.  Cavitation is
not a problem with the 6.9 IDI and the 7.3 DI (Direct Injection)
Powerstroke.

The E4OD automatic has also had its share of problems.  From what I've
been able to gather a lot of these problems are due to the E4OD going
into "limp home" mode when it doesn't get the right signals from some
failure prone electronic sensors.  The ZF-5 speed manual has a pretty
good reputation.  Some folks don't like the Dual Mass Flywheel, but LUK
make a Single Mass Flywheel clutch kit to replace it.

I'd like to have an IH truck with a Diesel.  I think if I were going to
build one, I'd go with the 6.9 IDI or a Cummins, and a manual trans.

Dave
84 F350 6.9, 4speed manual, 4.10 gears
88 F350 7.3, ZF-5, 3.54 gears

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!