Re: [ihc] Brake Questions-Scout Diesel Hybrid

---Sorry, are you using the `68 brake system? If so, then the master
cylinder would be different. The `68 had drums all around and the `74 and up
would have disc front. You would need to have the master cylinder for the
disc front and you would need a proportioning valve for the rear brakes if
you were using the `77 Scout II system. I don't believe the `68 would have a
proportioning valve, maybe a safety valve of some sort, which would have the
main purpose of shutting off one end if a leak appears.

---The proportioning valve is primarily for balancing pressure in the
system, allowing the rear brakes to expand before the front, giving the
shoes time to contact the drum. A combination valve is a proportioning valve
and a safety locking mechanism. Both Prop valve and Comb valve contain a
warning light switch.

---Bends wouldn't be a concern unless you can see that the inside of the
bend is or has been crimped. Then you may be loosing pressure trying to get
past the flat spot in the line. Brake lines that come off the master
cylinder should have an outer wrap to help prevent the tubing from breaking
and/or expanding under pressure while it is on it's way to the
proportioning/combination valve.

---I hope I explained it simple enough, without much error and without
forgetting anything. A preempt apology if I have... before I am corrected
:-D

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)