Subject: [ihc] Idling Mike ( was 1010 Travelall 2wd......)

From: J Grammer

>Mike, you have found the Achilles heel of an otherwise outstanding
>suspension. Absolutely everything except the control arm bushings, strut
>rod bushings, and outer tie rod ends is obsolete. Rare Parts to the rescue,
>just be happy you didn't need ball joints or a center link!

>Jim

Jim, my wallet didnt want to hear that the ball joints are made of the same
unobtainium material, and are only available from the suspension parts pirates.
But thanks for the info.
The passenger side upper bj moves up and down just 1/8 inch or so, so I
intend to replace it later. I figure it will last a while yet. I greased it well,
but its a shame that a greasable joint ever wore out in the first place.
Can anyone say "preventive maintenance"? Grease the darn thing!
Luckily the PO just replaced the center link with a new one, and the I/O tie
rod ends are tight yet, and all greasable.
Now I just gotta replace the water with coolant, get it painted, repair the
rear window uppy/downy, find a "sage" front seat cover, and figure out where to
find fake wood grain, and that funky purple window tint so I can tint my
front door wing/windows to match the rest of the back ones. :-)
Oh, and figure out where to put my stereo and speakers cause I "aint cuttin
no holes" in this truck.
The AM radio still works!
Mike Toney