Re: [ihc] 1010 Travelall 2wd idler arm, front wheel bearings, musings

Mark-
[soapbox mode]
The definition of a counter clown is a guy selling parts that has no
business doing so. I own a lot of vehicles. I go to parts stores a lot. The
industry has a lot of people in it that are pretty useless to people who own
classic vehicles such as ours. When I find a clerk who knows his stuff, I'm
ecstatic. I usually do the research before I go to the store, and I ask for
a part number or equivalent. I shouldn't have to, but I do. It gripes me to
be told that my 72 1110 doesn't have a 392 because the computer knows more
about travelalls than me, and always by somebody who doesn't even know what
a travelall is.

I'm the first person I ever heard use the term, posting it on binderbulletin
several years ago. I can't say for sure that I coined the phrase, since it's
such an obvious slam, but it's possible. I wasn't thinking of you, or
anybody like you, when I first used it.

You don't fit the description. It's partly an attitude.  In my industry,
people who sell alarm systems via the ADT or Brinks type marketing programs
(the majority, but not all of the salesmen that sell under these programs)
are called "trunk slammers." It's also the name for a small company, such as
the one I started from scratch 8 years ago, with no office. I used to fit
the description. No matter, I built the company up so that it no longer
fits. The company is nearly self sustaining, and I've managed to raise 4
kids, but I still work out of my home, and my office is a cell phone and a
67 1200B pickup truck. No trunk, but you get the picture.

Please, do not make the mistake of assuming all auto parts professionals are
lumped into that category. Some people find a way to do a good job no matter
what the system allows. Some people are fortunate enough to have been
trained in a professional manner, and are allowed by the system to use that
training. Nearly all of us can tell the difference in a hurry.

Unfortunately, that's no longer the rule, but the exception. The industry
changed, and not for the better. The books are wrong, the computers are
wrong, and the newest members of the trade think both were given to Moses
before the parts stores got them.

[/soapbox mode]