[ihc] 1010 Travelall 2wd idler arm, front wheel bearings, musings

Digesters,
Im a good bit poorer, and a good bit safer today. I put new brakes/brake
hoses all the way around on my 73 1010 2wd Travelall. New front bearings/seals
were the reason for the last minute run to the parts store for the day. Bearings
appeared OK, but were caked with hardened grease, and would have taken time to
clean, so I replaced them.
I checked the steering out as I was down there anyway :-) and found the idler
arm a bit worn and loose. It was easy for me to call all the local parts
houses to find another, but not so easy to hear that nobody listed such a part,
"not even Moog", (spoken by at least 2 counter clowns today, as if "Moog" were
the god of all things steering and if "Moog" didnt make it it doesnt exist).
I got online to check Napa, Advance, Autozoo, rockauto.com, no go.
I finally found one at rareparts.com, but I dont know if I want such a fancy
one. It must be made of gold, or at least chromed, or even installed, for
$106.00 plus shipping.
Upon hearing the price, my wife observed " Well, you wanted another old
truck".
Indeed I did.
73 1010 Travelall 2wd Fr disc Brk
Idler arm, rare parts # 20237- $106.00
Inner whl bearing, Carquest # A5 - $7.42 (x2)
Outer whl bearing, Carquest # A3 - $6.97 (x2)
Inner oil seal, Carquest # 203006 - $9.87 (x2)
And Im not done yet.
Looked under the truck real good today, still cant find any rust through.
Small patch here and there of surface stuff where the factory undercoating has
worn off. It will be treated and painted soon.
I gotta figure a way to get all the leaves/twigs out of the cowl. Guess Ill
have to pull the fenders huh?
Found the line setting ticket taped to the back of the glove box.
Highlights,
Increased cooling             PK           127400337
Undercoating              PNL/TA          105440001
Eaton Modulated Fan                       127380001
Frt Susp w/sway bar                         020090007
2600# spgs lieu of 2400#                   030820001
61 amp alt 10si int reg       PK           081320002
95-2640 aux oil clr f/at                       137120002
Tinted glass trvlal w/tg        PK          166580003
Etc,
Bought new from Doyle Motor Co, San Antonio, TX, shipped by rail.
Pulled in to a local store last night with it. I parked next to a new H2. As
I got out I heard somebody exclaim, "Cool, what year is it?". I thought they
were talking to the H2 owner, but as I looked around, the guy was talking to
me.
Made my day.
Mike Toney