[ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #208

Fellow is doing an in-frame rebuild, and pulled the head off to see why
he had no compression.  All of the top rings are broken, and one got
wedged between the cylinder and piston and broke the top land, so that
piston definitely needs to be replaced.  Guy is trying to keep the cost
from spiralling, otherwise he will probably pull it in favor of an SV,
but he would like to keep this motor if he can.  He called Green Bay
Parts World, and they told him the same thing:  out of stock, and no
plans to make more.  They advertise on their website
(http://www.greenbaypartsworld.com/bd264.htm) that they use Silvolite and
Ohio pistons.  I called RJ Templeton, which is a supplier for the engine
rebuild companies in my area, and their sources have said they will not
be building any more, and are out of stock. I am assuming they are using
Silvolite or Ohio too.  Other places I have tried have said they do not
have any either.  They advertise that they use Silvolite and Ohio
pistons.  Also, Egge is not producing them at this time, something to do
with re-engineering their molds.  He said he also tried the parts houses,
and CaseIH.  John Donnelly has been beating the bush for him as well, to
no avail.  Again, this needs to be standard bore standard altitude tilt
valve version, but I cannot tell if he needs armored or not.  All I know
about those motors is what I pick up here and there on the BB and the
Digest, so if you feel you can help the guy out, be my guest.  If you
want to read the full story, hit the BB thread here:
 http://bbs.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11832

-Colin Rush