Re: [ihc] Re: To tell the truth

Sorry TRE, you better stick to Scouts.

Maximum freight train speeds imposed by the Government (Federal Railway
Administration) depend upon the condition of each section of track and
range from 10 mph up to 80 mph.  Additional speed limits are imposed by
the railroads  depending upon type of cargo, type of cars, number of
loaded and empty cars, and in the west, the grades involved, the number
of engines (for dynamic braking), the actual weight of the train, and
other factors.  On CSX for instance, a freight train may be limited to
30, 40, 50, or 60 mph within the limits of the FRA track speeds depending
upon the type of cars and loads involved.

For passenger trains, again the FRA sets the limits depending upon track
condition.  A passenger train has higher limits over the same track than
a freight train due to better suspensions on passenger equipment.
Maximum may be 45 at some particular place, but generally the limit today
is 79 mph on good track without in-cab signaling equipment.  In the
Northeast Corridor, passenger trains regularly run at up to 125 mph and
I've ridden an Amtrak train across Southern Michigan at 100 mph.

But if a conductor that worked that track says the limit on a particular
section of track was 50, he's probably right because he is responsible
for knowing that info and seeing that it is obeyed.  And if the RR sets a
limit, that's the law as far as the FRA is concerned as well.  It is a
federal violation to exceed it.

Howard
Licensed Locomotive Engineer, Whitewater Valley RR

Here is an excerpt from CFR, Title49 that sets the speed limits:

Sec. 213.9  Classes of track: operating speed limits.

    (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section and
Secs. 213.57(b), 213.59(a), 213.113(a), and 213.137(b) and (c), the
following maximum allowable operating speeds apply--

                           [In miles per hour]
                                      		The maximum        The maximum
 Over track that meets all of the       	allowable          	allowable
  requirements prescribed in this    	operating speed    operating speed
            	part for--                 	for freight       	for passenger
                                       		trains is--        	trains is--
Excepted track....................                10                	N/A
Class 1 track.....................                 10                 	15
Class 2 track.....................                 25                 	30
Class 3 track.....................                 40                 	60
Class 4 track.....................                 60                 	80
Class 5 track.....................                 80                 	90

Everything you ever wanted to know and more about track safety standards
can be found at
http://frwebgate4.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=766570140
29+2+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve