Re: [ihc] Things That Go GRRRRRRRIND In The Night!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Ferris" <binder@domain.elided>
To: "IHC Digest" <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 13:25
Subject: [ihc] Things That Go GRRRRRRRIND In The Night!

> Greetings All,
>
> Interesting problem I can't say I've run into before.  Here's a sequence
of
> events for the past 24 hrs:
>
> 1) My REAR left shock -- same one that has all the Grade 8 hardware, and
the
> same one that was torqued to 60'# (or was it 65, I forget!) -- shed its
> hardware AGAIN. This is getting old. As a roadside repair, about all could
> do (not having replacement hardware with me) was to wire tie the shock up
> off the ground and intend to deal with it later.
>
> 2) On the way home, Something Bad happened.  It appears the FRONT axle or
> frame has shifted a bit.  Now, the FRONT RIGHT tire is getting cut to
shreds
> by the FRONT of the right front fender.  Fortunately this happened within
<snip>

I have three guesses.

1) broken u-bolts on the axle (front)
2) broken rear spring mount on the front spring, if you have an anti sway
bar installed, this probobly would have stopped the axle from coming forward
like that (only know that because I saw someone once driving a scout that
was like that... scary).
3) broken spring center pin

I'd check in this order:
Spring mounts for the front spring.
U-bolts (it'll be obvious when you look at the spring)
center pin, look to see if the axle has been sliding along the spring pack.

Let us know what you find (have you found anything looking under the scout)?

I'm getting mixed up replies... it looks like I've missed one or more
messages from you as well as a message or two from Tom (IE haven't recieved
them yet)....  currently have two messages on the issue, both from you...

-Ryan